Saturday, April 28, 2007

4/28/2007 - WiigoBot: The Perfect Game

My favorite game on the Wii is still Wii Bowling. It's so simple, and yet it mimics the real game so well. I really feel that every minuscule angle change or velocity modulation I make with my swing makes a difference in the outcome of the bowl. I know I'll never bowl as well in real life bowling, but I believe that Wii Bowling is good practice anyway. It's all about getting that precise swinging control ingrained into your muscle memory so you can get a strike every time.

So when I saw this video on YouTube, I just had to laugh. Of course when you have a robot bowling for you, a perfect game is automatic. The problem is that it defeats the whole purpose of someone playing it as a bowling simulator! Still, I have to admire the work that must have gone into programming the robot. You'd have to get the Mii to move off-center, hold the B trigger, swing back then forward with a slight tilt to get some spin, release the B trigger, then press the A button to start the next throw. All that with Lego Mindstorms... amazing.

No comments: