Thursday, October 9, 2008

10/9/2008 - IT guy v.s dumb employees

At work, my computer is probably one of the oldest computers at the site, but it still runs like a champ and its faster than a lot of the computers that were bought years later. It's not because I've upgraded the processor or anything... it's because unlike most people, I don't load it with a bunch of unnecessary software that will bog it down. Having experience as a programmer, I know what kinds of things out there will slow down a computer and what kind of maintenance is necessary to keep things running smooth. It pains me to see computers at my workplace abused to the point where they act like computers with Pentium II processors and 128 MB of RAM. What's sad is that good computer practice is something that is easily learned, but is almost never put into use because there are so many "utilities" and programs out there that people want to experiment or play with. Non-computer people see little consequence in loading their computers up with these unnecessary programs, but people like me cringe. Oh well... the disparity of experience that keeps me employed. And it's why this video gives me such a good laugh:

No comments: