Tuesday, December 9, 2008

12/9/2008 - How to Break a 360

One of the main reasons I did not get an XBox 360 was because of all the news last year about the high system failure rate. I'm sure I read somewhere that 1 in 4 Xboxes suffered from the "Red Ring of Death". Yes, I know it's ironic that my PS3 failed and I had to get it fixed, but I'm still happy with my choice. My new PS3 is working just fine and I'm sure it has a better chance of lasting than a random 360 out there.

The XBox failures was so bad that Microsoft extended its warranty from 1 year to 3 years. Well, the XBox made its debut in November 22, 2005, so the warranties on those XBoxes have expired. If by chance you bought it at that time and your system gets the Red Ring of Death, you're pretty much S.O.L. If you bought it at a later date and your warranty is still in place, you'd want it to fail so that you can get a replacement XBox with the newer chipset that is less prone to failure. That's the dilemma the folks at IGN want to help you with by showing you exactly how to break the XBox 360:

No comments: