Saturday, June 7, 2008

6/7/2008 - MacBook - thin enough.

My PowerBook is close to 5 years old now, and I'm itching to get a new one. It's still running fine for the most part, but the battery is old now and I pretty much have to leave the laptop plugged in. I can tolerate the speed of booting up, shutting down, and launching apps, but many things are running prohibitively slow. For example, I can't watch HD video with Quicktime because it's so choppy. Adobe Flash is such a processor hog that I can't watch Flash videos of any higher resolution than YouTube videos. I know a lot of this is because the PowerBook is using a PowerPC G4 instead of an Intel chip (my work PC which is older can play high resolution videos fine).

Anyway, I am still sticking with Apple for home computing, but I'm torn as to which laptop I'm going to get. Since I have a "PowerBook" right now, you'd think I'd go with its spiritual successor, the MacBook Pro. I really like the form factor of the 12" PowerBook I'm using right now and unfortunately, the smallest MacBook Pro is 15". I guess I'll be going with the 13" MacBook even if it's not the best Apple has to offer. I'm definitely not going to get a MacBook Air for so many reasons. Besides, as this video shows, the MacBook is thin enough:

No comments: