Wednesday, July 11, 2007

7/11/2007 - Jack Tretton PS3 price cut interview

When they announced that Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix was coming to the next-gen systems, I decided that I really wanted either the X-Box 360 or the Playstation 3. From the beginning, I thought I would be getting a PS3 because I wanted to be able to play all my PS2 games. But then they announced the price. I wouldn't care if it projected holograms... $600 IS WAY TOO MUCH! Couple that with the lack of games for the PS3, my attention turned to the 360.

After all, 360 had some games on there that I really wanted to play, and the X-Box Live Arcade system looked like a great addition for retro gamers like me. But I knew there were things that really irked me. Like the way they labeled the buttons on the controllers. It's like they gave a big "SCREW YOU" to folks who were used to the Super Nintendo button layout (if you have a 360 and an SNES, you know what I'm talking about). That, and the fact that I have to pay yearly for the X-Box Live service. But you know what the final straw was? The 30% failure rate! I don't know of ANYTHING out there that has such a high failure rate! Before I heard that, I even thought about getting a used 360. I'm glad I didn't.

So Sony pulled me back into their camp this past weekend by announcing that $100 price cut. $500 for a gaming system is still expensive, but it's really cheap for a Blu-Ray player. Also, after evaluating the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray wars, I really think that Blu-Ray is here to stay. I was this close to cementing my decision for the PS3, but then I saw this interview:



Are you kidding me?! What the heck is this about a 10-year life cycle? It's OBVIOUS why they had to cut the price to $100: The Nintendo Wii is kicking their butt! This guy is the CEO and he's totally clueless! I want to scream to him, "You don't know jack, Jack!" Before I go ahead and buy a PS3, I want this guy out of Sony first.

No comments: