Friday, January 11, 2008

1/11/2008 - YOUTUBE CHANGES NEED FIXING

Mr. Black in this video encapsulates everything I've been thinking about YouTube's new "redesign":



The purpose of this blog is to find some really cool videos on YouTube and to share them with you, the reader, while giving my personal comments on them. When YouTube redesigned their site a couple of months ago, it made my job a whole lot harder.

First, they take away the "Gadgets and Gaming" genre. Since I'm into video games and computers, a lot of my favorite videos fall into that category. By taking the genre away, my viewing choices became so much more limiting. They've somewhat remedied this by putting in the "Science and Technology" genre, but a lot of gaming videos are now split among that genre and the "Entertainment" genre. It makes no friggin' sense! Why would they do this?

The other thing they did was to make the selection of sort options a drop-down list instead of the links they used before. Mr. Black complained about this too. What took only two clicks of the mouse before now takes four. Aren't newer interfaces supposed to be easier than they were previously? I guess not according to the programmers at Youtube.

No comments: