Thursday, July 3, 2008

7/3/2008 - First TV Hulk Transformation

If you want my review of the new Incredible Hulk movie, here it is: it's great. Just like the Iron Man film, it's a movie that I wanted to see again right away in the theaters. Given today's movie prices and that I have a decent home entertainment system, that's a rare thing for me to say. It's just about the best Hulk movie you can make without the budget of Superman Returns. Every movie reviewer out there is comparing it to the first Hulk movie made 5 years ago by Ang Lee, and all I'll say is that it's much better this time around. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the 2003 movie, but I can see why it turned so many people off. The writer and director of that movie were just being too ambitious in trying to explain how a creature of rage manifested himself out of a scientist. They did so with some respect towards the comics backstory, but most of the audience just weren't interested in that.

They wanted to see Hulk smash, and that's exactly what happens in this new movie. I kind of wish I didn't spoil the movie for myself by watching all the previews, trailers, and commercials, but a lot of what wasn't shown was still a joy to see on screen. The CGI for the Hulk left me initially unconvinced, but I soon appreciated it for its higher action dynamic. I thought that the Hulk's proportions seemed a bit on the skinny, but I did like the Sal Buscema-style hair. The Abomination's design deviated greatly from the one in the comics, but it does work in the movie. Watching the two of them fight is definitely not like watching Godzilla and Mothra going a it.

The best thing about the Incredible Hulk movie for me would have to be Edward Norton as Bruce Banner. I can't see anyone else in the role now, and this is coming from someone who wanted to cast a Hulk movie for years. Norton gave such a sympathetic performance that you couldn't help but root for him. It is much derived from the Bill Bixby's Banner from the old Hulk TV series of which much of this new movie is based. Why would they want this movie to be a throwback to a thirty year-old TV show? Well, it was actually pretty good for its time. Treating the Hulk story as a realistic sci-fi drama instead of a superhero fantasy movie was the smartest decision they made for the TV show. That's not to say there weren't superhuman elements or special effects. Just take the first transformation, for example. Even without computer graphics or morphing, it's pretty convincing:



And yes, I'm glad they included the "white eyes" in the movie.

No comments: