Wednesday, July 9, 2008

7/9/2008 - Honda ASIMO Conducts The Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Growing up watching the Jetsons, I was sure I'd see the day when robots would be a prominent part of society. Yes, there are robotic machines prevalent in the manufacturing industry and you even have robots that do bomb defusing for the police and military. But what we don't have yet are humanoid robots that would take our place in doing menial tasks. Economically that would make sense, as such a technological luxury would always be more expensive than human labor. A good indication of this is how little the Segway scooter has caught on. Sure, it makes it easier for moderate distance transportation, but when you're looking at a $5,000 sticker price, walking doesn't seem too bad.

So instead of being virtual maids or housekeepers, you see modern day robots doing very strange things. I still look forward to the day when I'll have my own little robot bodyguard, but until then, we'll just have to settle for a robot conductor. Yes, of all the things the Honda ASIMO could be programmed to do, conducting music seemed the most practical, I suppose:

No comments: