Monday, April 21, 2008

4/21/2008 - Legend of Zelda Movie trailer

When I saw this trailer, I said "Wow!", they were making a Legend of Zelda movie and they kept it secret for this long?



I expected a Zelda movie would happen sooner or later. After all, if they can make movies out of Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Hitman, Bloodrayne, House of the Dead, Street Fighter, DOA, and Super Mario Bros., then why not a movie of one of the most popular game franchises of all time? Especially since the Legend of Zelda's storyline could easily be made into a screenplay... particularly that of the Ocarina of Time.

But then I was wondering who are these no-name actors? I guess it would be a good move... you don't want big-name actors distracting from the audience's perception of the characters they know intimately from the game series. It's a lesson you'd think George Lucas would have learned from the success of the original Star Wars trilogy. Sadly, he cast well-known actors for the prequels and it was not for the better, in my opinion.

I was this close to being excited for an actual upcoming Zelda movie until I realized the date this trailer was released: April 1st. Yes, this was all an elaborate April Fool's joke... one that I actually fell for! And who could blame me? It must have cost a fortune to do this trailer! Ever since the famous Sheng Long April Fool's joke in EGM, game magazines and websites have tried to one-up (pardon the pun) each other in creating the most elaborate hoax. I have to say that this year's prize belongs to IGN.

No comments: