Saturday, June 2, 2007

6/2/2007 - Live Action GoldenEye 64 Recreation

A lot of people may disagree with me on this, but I think GoldenEye 007 was the best game for the Nintendo 64. Most people would put either Super Mario 64 or The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time above GoldenEye in their list, but as for myself, I just don't play those games anymore. Don't get me wrong, Mario 64 was a breakthrough in terms of being the first truly playable 3-D platformer and Ocarina of Time may be the greatest Zelda game in the franchise (I'd say it's a tie with a Link to the Past), but they don't have the replayability that GoldenEye has.

I played some Wolfenstein and Doom before GoldenEye, but I couldn't really get into those games because playing them with a keyboard was very limiting. The Nintendo 64's controller may have its detractors, but it was the ideal controller for me in terms of playing a first-person shooter. I would use the control pad to move the character and the analog stick to aim. It was so natural to assign the Z-button to be the trigger. GoldenEye added something else that made it more true-to-life, the element of stealth. Being able to slap a guy to death or use a silencer to prevent others from hearing you was sheer genius. LAN parties are cool, but using the split-screen for multiplayer wasn't too shabby.

The Perfect Dark game that came after it was a great game, too, but I prefer the old-school weapons of GoldenEye. I can always rely on GoldenEye to give me a good time, and this video is a nice tribute to it:

No comments: