Sunday, June 3, 2007

6/3/2007 - The Saga Begins

Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace is widely considered the worst of all the Star Wars movies. I probably would concur with that, but I wouldn't say it was a horrible movie. Jar Jar is certainly annoying, but I think he was less annoying than the Ewoks. At least Jar Jar was annoying on purpose! What really irks me was how they made the Jedis total stiffs. I think that's why Anakin chose the Dark Side. I mean, look how cool Darth Maul is compared to this guy:


LAME


If you think about it, there weren't any compelling characters on the side of good in the prequels. That's why I think the original trilogy owes so much of its success to Harrison Ford and the Han Solo character. In other words, the prequels are like the X-Men movies without Wolverine.

The one thing about Episode I for me that stood out was the fact that Weird Al Yankovic wrote a song about it before it came out in theaters using nothing but internet spoilers! I think that might have been the first movie to have the entire plot revealed on the internet. Weird Al's song is great, though. Set to the tune of Don McLean's "American Pie", it's a complete summary of the entire movie without reference to Jar Jar. While Weird Al did make a music video out of it, I think this is a better version:

No comments: