Monday, May 21, 2007

5/21/2007 - Kylie Minogue - Come Into My World

I'm afraid that the music video as an art form is almost lost upon us. What was really popular in the '80s and '90s has pretty much faded away ever since MTV decided to be some sort of reality show TV network for the youngsters. I don't know why they even have a music video award or even call themselves "Music TV". I thought the reason they came up with MTV2 was so that they would show music videos there, but they've gone the same route as MTV has. Same with VH1 as well!

Perhaps if more music videos were more like the following one, they could make a comeback. "Come Into My World" by Kylie Minogue is one of the most creative videos I've seen, if not the most. It takes the concept of the Mobius loop and puts a spin on it by adding the concept of multiplicity. It's simply mind-boggling to watch and even more so to comprehend how the special effects were conceived. Whoever storyboarded the video must have been on acid or something.



Every time you watch the video, you spot something new... and I think that was its intent. The actual song is a pretty good one too. One bit of trivia: Kylie Minogue played Cammy in the live-action Street Fighter II movie. She's probably one of the few good things in that movie.

No comments: