Wednesday, May 9, 2007

5/9/2007 - Unnecessary Censorship

Another thing I watched when I first subscribed to cable was Loveline starring Dr. Drew Pinsky and Adam Carolla on MTV. The show was basically a call-in advice program for people with relationships problem, sex problems, addiction problems, etc. It was a guilty pleasure to see how much more weird each call to the show would get. Dr. Drew would, of course, give smart advice while Adam Carolla would just be a smart-aleck. I have to admit, though, he was pretty funny.

When Comedy Central announced their new program The Man Show would be hosted by Adam Carolla, I thought it was a perfect fit. Adam knows what real men (not metrosexuals) think, and I thought this show would be a perfect vehicle for him to cut loose. When they announced that Jimmy Kimmel would be his co-host, I said "Jimmy who?" Apparently, he was on some other Comedy Central show I never watched, so I had no idea what to expect. As it turns out, Adam and Jimmy are real life friends, and they were really good together on The Man Show. Their best skit was probably when they distributed a petition to "end women's suffrage". They took advantage of the fact that not many people know what "suffrage" really means.

Needless to say, The Man Show went downhill after Carolla and Kimmel left. I think it only lasted one more season. Jimmy Kimmel would go on to host his own late night show (named after himself). While I don't watch much of it (I'm a Leno guy), there is one skit he does each week that's a must-see. It's the "Unnecessary Censorship" segment where various video footage is shown with bleeps edited in to give the impression that an expletive was used. Something that might have totally been innocent before would sound really vulgar with a well-placed bleep. So here is a "best-of" collection of these segments:

No comments: