Wednesday, May 23, 2007

5/23/2007 - CNN ridicules Microsoft Zune

I'm not a Microsoft hater... I use Microsoft products all the time. I use their operating system at work, our servers are running Windows, and I program using Visual Studio. As someone who provides computer support at work, though, I just get sick of using Windows, dealing with its shortcomings, and fixing problem PCs. That's why my home computer is a Mac.

I've used Macs since around 1990 and I've never really had a problem with them. In fact, I just like using them better. People may think they're like toys, but hey, I like playing with toys! I can get my work done on Macs and do recreational activities without giving much thought as to the internals of the machine or the delicate balance of managing applications within the operating system environment. See, when I use a PC, these are the things I have to worry about... because I see everyday what happens when you ignore these things!

A microcosm of the Mac/PC battle can clearly be seen with the iPod/Zune rivalry. The way Microsoft copied OS X with Vista is so blatant, it's almost laughable. Microsoft's patent-ignoring ways carried over when they created the Zune. But no matter how many features they copy from Apple, they will always lack that special elegance that Apple products have. The following video sums it up beautifully. What begins as a tepidly positive review of the Zune, turns into a "meh"-fest when all the limitations of the Zune are presented. The best part is when one of the news anchors whips out her iPod Shuffle, though. They can't stop gushing over it!

No comments: