Friday, May 4, 2007

Past Favorite - X-Men TAS Anime

The 90's X-Men animated series was probably the best Marvel cartoon series ever made. The only other series rivaling it was the 90's Spider-Man animated series, but to me, the later seasons were too serialized (how many parts were there to Sins of the Father?) The X-Men storylines were VERY faithful to the comics, and the core team they used were a pretty balanced group (I don't know why they made up the Morph character, though). I loved how they broadcasted the Dark Phoenix Saga as a 5-part primetime special during the summer. That ruled!

The only real complaint I had was the animation. It just wasn't anything special. The characters were probably drawn too realistically... I would have preferred something more stylized like Batman: The Animated Series. I was disappointed because I was expecting something along the lines of the Pryde of the X-Men pilot that aired a few years back. When the series was brought to Japan, they decided to improve the animation of the opening credits and did it anime style! They completely changed the theme song, however, and put in Japanese lyrics. While it's not bad, I preferred the American theme music.

Apparently, so did DeathsHead2 of YouTube, and thus this mashup was created. I really admire the job that was done here. Everything is synchronized down to the SNIKT of Wolverine's claws!

No comments: